Sunday, April 14, 2013

Finally! A new post!

Hey everyone, It's been so long since my last post. Lots has happened and I've made some stuff but never got around to making a post/tutorial. First, a little catch up! I'm 21 weeks pregnant with... a GIRL! We are naming her Leah Rose =) she is very active at times and I get so happy when I feel her kick and I love the look on Chris's face when he feels her kick. Next, last month (March 28th) was my little brother's 16th birthday and when we got to the house we walk in to see everyone in the living room surrounding my younger brother. He's on the floor fighting back tears with an ice pack on his leg. About half an hour before we got there he had got hurt and the birthday boy and there friend had to carry him inside. He was riding his ATV and made a sharp turn and it flipped and landed on his leg. Thank goodness he didn't break his leg though and he had to be on crutches. Keeping with that theme (in a way) I've been to the hospital about 3 times...as a guest. The first time was for my friend/ future sister in law who is also pregnant, the last two times (Thursday and technically Sunday morning) was for Chris. Everyone is fine so I'm glad about that. Today I almost went to the hospital because I threw up some bloody mucus and blew some blood out of my nose. (sorry if that was TMI!) Anyways, the doctor I talked to said I'm fine and that's normal, like when you brush your teeth and your gums bleed (during pregnancy).
Shall I move onto the tutorial now?



I love cross body bags. I have a small one but was on the hunt for a bigger one, especially to fit my wallet inside. I decided to just try to make one. I used black and rainbow leopard print old fabric that is actually from two bed skirts. Black for the outside and the rainbow leopard for the lining. For the strap, I used yarn that I braided into a 5 strand braid. I recommend using something more comfortable though. It took me a few days to make my own pattern and sew everything (by hand) together. I don't have a sewing machine so I had to do it all by hand, which is part of the reason why it took so long. The other reasons was because my back would start hurting and I would feel really tired.

The bag has a pocket on the back side for my phone and another pocket on the inside. I didn't take pictures of the process but it's easy to do.

*cut your fabric out from both prints(outside and lining)
* if you want pockets cut them out and place them where you want them and sew to that single only. Like other purses that has pockets inside and out, sew the lining pocket the the lining and the outer pocket to the outer layer.
*place the outer fabric wrong sides together then place one piece of the lining right side facing up. flip everything over and place last piece right side facing up. it should be lining,outer piece,outer piece, lining.
*sew the bottom up and the two sides up. hem the top if you want to
*flip the bag right side out. sew one end of your strap to the side seam and repeat to the other side.
*i hemmed the top of the bag at this point.

That's pretty much it. I originally wanted to to make a closure but I got tired and lazy and never got around to it and just said it's good the way it is now. Because of the side of the bag I should've added a closure to eliminate to worry of my stuff spilling out. I used it for about a week and made a bigger one. I found the second one to be easier and finished it two days. It would've been one day but it was getting late, I was tired and my back was killing me.




It's just a basic shape. I was really happy with myself but should have made it bigger. I didn't think it would turn out that small. I wanted the bag to be small-ish but it turned out small. It's no big deal though, for my first purse I think I did a good job and I'm happy with that =)

I do have a couple things I want to post and a new bag I want to try to make so look out for those! 

I hope you guys liked this post and I'm sorry for the long gap since my last post.


I'll talk to you guys soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment